Turtle Boost

We all know that defenses are only for small protection against lower to mid-range players and can be taken out quite easily. Even the biggest turtles can be removed with a small concerted effort if needed.

I propose a new technology for defenses. You can make up whatever name you like, but it would be funny to call it "Homeland Security".

Each level of research adds the addition of certain types of rapid fire against ships. As it stands now, plasmas have RF against espys and lunars, everything else has RF against espys only. It could be something like:

Level 1 - Increase fire power of RL by 10% and unlocks RF of RL against Small Cargo/Light Fighters by 2.
Level 2 - Increase fire power of RL by 5% and LL by 10% and unlocks RF against Heavy Fighters/Battleships by 4/3
Level 3 - Increases fire power of LL by 5%
Level 4 - Increases fire power of Heavy Lasers by 20%
Level 5 - Increases fire power of Ion cannons by 10% and unlocks RF against Cruisers/BC by 2
Level 6... well you get the idea. Maybe even do every other level increase instead of every level.

Notice a 20% increase in heavy lasers but no RF for them against any ships at that level, maybe unlocked at much higher levels.

Re: Turtle Boost

well, as a simple example if somebody sent 20k RIPS, currently you could have 10million LL and 10k plasmas and he would rip through it like butter. I think he/she may lose 30-60 RIPS.

I also think that maybe a graviton of certain level should be included to unlock the research.

Yes there would be a soft cap. It should be laid out that a certain level gives you a certain boost/unlock but after so much there would be no additional boosts unless you incorporated something like level 15 unlocks a MLRS system or something like that.. this is def a rough draft idea so all input pro and con would definitely help refine. Just remember, try to think on both sides, dont disagree just because you are a fleeter, or agree just because you are a turtle. I would like to hear, if there is any interest at all in an idea like this, all options and considerations. It may come to pass that this idea doesnt go forward, but it sparks other ideas along the way.

But in addition to that world I mentioned, I also have in excess of 160k plasmas, mixed with other stuff. Remember though, I'm in Standard, so with the speed of the game, that many RIPs do not exist in any one players armoury, yet.

But, for me, increasing those things would be great, but also, would it be unfair on lesser players?

So, a cut off point past a certain level?

you tell me MightyOz. What would you suggest to enhance this? And how would it be unfair to lower level players? I think it would tip an already uneven balance. I would also like to hear your ideas along with the rest of the community.

I like the idea, maybe a few of the higher levels could increase the chances of defenses returning after hit by a percentage or two. Don't agree with the hard-cap though. Everything in Zorg has a soft cap, so it doesn't make sense to me to have a random cut-off
Forum Administrator
Noblesse Oblige 77 MP

This is an interesting idea... but, as you have alluded to, Spankie, the real issue for turtles (and why there aren't many of them in X) is RIPs... RIPs RF against almost all defenses, last time I checked, and, if you have enough of them, you can easily crack any shell and call it "profitable" because they are so darn cheap to fly. This is one of the main reasons I keep my defenses relatively low. Defenses are actually fairly effective against most other ships (I think there is a reasonable balance, at least...) but against RIPs, they aren't very useful at all.

So, maybe, instead, the tech you suggested could reduce the rapid fire of RIPs against defenses... Maybe at high levels it could even allow the possibility of RF of certain defenses against RIPs? We have a ship that RF's against RIPs, why are there no defenses that can RF against RIPs? Just my two cents.

what about or ion or laser. Just so far, then not worth anything but boosting status. Great idea on the "defense return" thing. I like it:)

Pulsar, I like that idea as well. I was thinking that maybe guass or plasma could start gaining RF against RIPS in the higher levels.

Really great ideas indeed.

I like the idea but now I unstand now rf works is ships/defense get extra shots of fire against others ie battlecruisers have 7 against battle ship so in one battle round battlecruisers can fire 7 times in order to do this it must roll a die to see if the battlecruisers can fire again up to 7 times . Ie in layman's words. U have 10 battlecruisers I have 30 battle ships I get 30 dice to throw u get 10 but get to throw 7 times to mine one time .I believe the only way to power up defense now is increase the base points rocket launchers have shields of 20 attack points of 80 . If we use your idea and research higher shield and attack points

what i am saying is, RF is ONLY good for ships with the exception of plasmas that get a RF against lunars. I want to add an ability to boost defenses and unlock abilities to gain RF for defenses. Any shielding research will simply be countered by the same boost being applied to the ships. Defenses do not have armor (maybe they should). And attack pts fall under Weapons research so once again, its nullified by the bonus also given to ships.

The only thing i can see is maybe you are speaking of separate shielding/attack research that only applies to defenses?